While the internet can be a safe, convenient, and great place to buy & sell on classified websites, you should always take caution to avoid becoming the victim of a scam. Unfortunately, there are buyers and sellers out there targeting unsuspecting consumers. Here are a few tips you can use to help identify a potential scam when buying or selling items on a classified website. We want your JeepingNation.com experience to be informative, rewarding, pleasant, and positive.
First of all, rule of thumb……………. if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Protect yourself from scammers!
- Do not provide personal information including social security numbers, banking information, PayPal account info, eBay account info, passwords, mother’s maiden name, date of birth, and credit card info
- Of fake cashier’s checks, bank checks, or money orders. Banks will cash them and then hold you responsible when the fake is discovered.
- Of cashier’s checks, bank checks, and money orders for more than the asking price and want you to pay/return the difference to them.
- Of counterfeit cashier’s checks and bank checks. Never give the buyer the title or your trailer until your bank has cleared the check and the funds are in your account.
- Scammers often our web-based free email addresses such as yahoo.com, ymail.com, gmail.com and live.com
- Use a counterfeit detecting pen, if you are receiving payment in large amounts of cash, or have your bank verify the cash
- Don’t wire funds with Western Union or Money Gram
- Be careful when accepting PayPal as a payment method from a buyer – scams have been reported whereby after obtaining the item for sale, the buyer disputes the charge, cancels his/her account, and disappears
- Of inquiry from someone far away, often in another country. If you send them money there is little to nothing Local, State, and Federal authorities can do to help you get your money back.
- Of inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before completing the transaction
If you believe you have or have attempted to be scammed we suggest you report to the:
- Internet Crime Complaint Center www.ic3.gov
- Federal Trade Commission www.ftc.gov or 877-382-4357
If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.
If you suspect a fake ad or an ad that may be connected to a scam, please let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org
JeepingNation.com is not involved in any transactions, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, or offer “buyer protection” or “seller certification”.
Thank YOU for helping keep JeepingNation.com an enjoyable and helpful website for everyone.
Get In Touch
47 Washington Avenue #201
Wheeling, WV 26003